Chronic Pain Unit, from its initial launch phase on January 11th, 2010, is the specific focus within the Anaesthesiology and Resuscitation Service, which aims to provide health coverage to patients with chronic pain in a comprehensive manner. The Unit meets the needs of these patients in our health department in terms of consultation and invasive techniques requiring their pathology.
The Pain Unit focuses on patients requiring interventional pain techniques, ranging from the infiltration of trigger points through nerve blocks, central blocks, sympathectomise, radiofrequency until neuromodulation techniques and spinal infusion.
The Chronic Pain Unit objectives in the Hospital Clínico Universitario de Valencia (HCUV) are:
- Provide health coverage to patients with chronic pain.
- Improving the life quality of people with pain, with special emphasis on vulnerable groups such as children, the elderly, and people with communication difficulties, with mental disorder or institutionalized persons.
- Strengthening the professional’s alliance for development of a comprehensive policy for pain approach.
- Promote the strategies dissemination for a better pain control in the population attended by the Hospital Clínico-Hospital Malvarrosa Department by driving training tasks in primary care.
- Developing criteria for referral from Primary Health care to the Critical Pain Unit (CPU).
- Provide undergraduate and postgraduate university education.
- Participate in applied research by means of clinical trials and basic research through collaboration with the University of Valencia.